Legal Assistant in New York Metro Area
New York Metro Area law firm with national practice seeks legal assistants with 3 – 5 years’ experience in general legal work and general clerical duties. Notary Public license a plus.
Summary and Objectives
The Legal Assistant is responsible for providing assistance to attorneys as well as performing general clerical duties when needed. The legal assistant must have knowledge of litigation procedures and processes, have experience e-filing and creating table of contents and table of authorities in Word, have familiarity with State and Federal court procedures and rules, have typing and Dictaphone transcription skills, and possess a strong knowledge of preparation of various legal documentation and correspondence. The legal assistant must have note-taking skills and be able to use proper grammar and spelling as well as the ability to multi-task. The legal assistant will work in a team setting, often with five to seven attorneys with secretarial and clerical duties depending on the workload of assigned attorneys while reporting to the Office Manager and assisting other legal assistants as needed.
- Preparing pleadings, motions, discovery demands, Affirmations in Opposition, answers, and other legal documents and correspondence
- Providing dictation transcription through use of headphones and a foot pedal
- E-filing and creating table of contents and table of authorities in Word
- Assisting attorneys in maintaining compliance with required reporting
- Clerical work (i.e., copying, scanning, emailing, faxing) and any other clerical work needed to fully support your assigned attorneys
- Occasional administrative work (i.e., filing, sorting and delivering mail and office supplies)
- Other tasks as assigned, including, but not limited to preparing expense reimbursement forms, phone calls, preparation of overnight packages, etc.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please direct your resume, office location you are applying for and salary requirements to Beverly Warwick (email@example.com), Director of Human Resources.
Full time (with hybrid schedule available at this time)
$25 – $30 per hour – Commensurate with Experience
We offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees, including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Family Medical Leave (FMLA)
- Paid Family Leave (PFL)
- Domestic Partner Benefits (Same Sex)
- Short and Long-term Disability
- Firm-paid Life Insurance
- Employee Paid Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Pre-tax Parking and Transit Programs – Commuter Benefits
- Pre-tax Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA and HRA)
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- 12 paid holidays per year
- 3 weeks of PTO per year to start
- Bereavement Policy
- Jury Duty
Pillinger Miller Tarallo began in 2002 with a handful of lawyers representing insurance clients in New York and has grown into over 90 lawyers located throughout New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. We have been able to achieve this successful growth by providing highly-experienced representation to our clients in all areas of civil litigation.
Our primary objective is the swift, cost-effective resolution of cases with the most favorable outcome possible for our clients.
Our Firm is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating achieved only by a select group of law firms after a rigorous screening process.
Our attorneys have handled thousands of cases across numerous practice areas throughout the Northeast. Moreover, we are known as the “go to” trial firm since our attorneys have tried over 500 cases since the formation of the firm. Our approach to each and every case is to provide not only sound legal counsel, but also to ensure excellent client service. The foregoing principles have guided us over the years and have laid a foundation for our attorneys to build upon for the future